Coleraine Swimming Club was founded in September 1969 by Jim Foote, Helen Birch, Elsa Rowbottom, Eamon O’Hara and others with the aim of promoting the art of swimming. The Clubs objectives are to:
- To respect the rights, dignity and worth of each individual
- To ensure that the health, safety and welfare of each Club member is paramount
- To positively encourage each swimmer to develop their full potential and provide feedback on progress
- To encourage the spirit of fair play and reinforce its principles
- To promote the enjoyment of sport as a priority
- To actively encourage parents/guardians to participate in the development of the Club
The Club has approximately 30-35 volunteer coaches who teach children at various levels of ability from starting to swim to the competitive level and the club membership stands around 150 members.
The Club swimmers are split into 2 groups, the Aquasprint, which is for children up to 10/11 years old, and the Provincial Towns League (PTL) Squad which is for more experienced swimmers who are 8 years and older.